Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 33 Ordway to Pueblo

Saturday, June 17, 2011

Miles 54.85     Total 2217.04     Daily Avg  67.18
Avg Speed  16.9     Max Speed  24.6     Alt climbed 971

We were up and out of the campsite by 6:30 and on the road.  Five miles into the ride we caught up with Jim and Joe fixing a flat on Jim's bike.  W stopped and talked until the tire was repaired then said our goodbye.  This was the last time we would see them as they were taking the Western Express trail to San Fransisco once they reached Pueblo.  We have enjoyed Joe's company for the past week and a half.  We wish them well.

Reaching Pueblo is a major milestone for us, it is the half way point for our trip and the completion of the 6th map.  From Pueblo we turn north until we reach Montana and start heading west again.

We reached Pueblo by 11:00 and drove north to Colorado Springs for the next two nights.  We are staying in a small motor motel in downtown Colorado Springs.  It is perfect, just around the corner from the restaurants and shops and close to all the attractions.  Kelly and I toured the U.S. Olympic Training Center and were given a feel for the intense training the athletes go through.

 I walked into Olde Town Bike Shop in Colorado Springs at 1:00 in need of having the casette and chain replaced.  I was praying I could leave the bike and the repairs completed by the time they close a 6:00.  I told the mechanic my daughter and I were on a cross country bike tour and taking a rest day in town.  The mechanic invited me back to the shop and immediately began working on my bike.  Even with the long discussion of our trip, within a half hour the repairs were complete and I was on my way.  This was just another example of how people go out of their way to help us and learn of our adventure.

Kelly and Joe



US Olympic training Center



Olympic Training Center Weight Lifting training Room



Arkansas River in Pueblo

1 comment:

  1. Kelly and Jim, Thanks for the great pictures of our son Joe. Just for your information he is in Blanding UTAH on Sunday June 26th and doing fine. Have a safe trip and memorable journey.

    Mom and Dad Sullivan

    ReplyDelete